Mission and Aims
Hands-on involvement with the Deaf community
Zebra Access is a registered charity dedicated to ensuring that all Deaf people, both adults and children, enjoy equal participation and access without communication barriers.
Zebra Access is a Deaf led charity that aims to develop opportunities for Deaf people to have better chances in life by providing access to a range of activities. These include, training and workshops to improve life skills through provision of support, education and advice. Zebra Access also aims to promote and advocate healthier lifestyles by raising and improving awareness of available activities and other health choices.
Alongside this, it aims to raise awareness and improve accessibility to technology, services and facilities. Zebra Access supports and promotes a strong community ethos by encouraging Deaf people to become more active within their communities and to work together to tackle common problems, as well as advocate a wider social cohesion. Additionally, Zebra Access also leads and manages a bi-annual Film and Arts festival, which allows Deaf performers, communities and film directors to showcase their talents to a wider audience.
Zebra Access aims to ensure that Deaf people are given the opportunity to live full and enriched lives by developing independence and building confidence by:
- Providing Deaf and Hard of Hearing role models for all Deaf and Hard of Hearing people to achieve their aspirations
- Understanding oppression and offer solutions to overcome them
- Assisting Deaf and Hard of Hearing people to break down social and communication barriers
- Enabling Deaf and Hard of Hearing people to have self belief and confidence
- Opening doors for further education and employment
- Working in partnership with those that share our vision
Deaf HubWhat can we help you with?
As part of the Zebra Access' Reaching Communities 'Deaf Hub' project, with the support of the Big Lottery Fund, Advocacy drop-in Centres for deaf and hard of hearing people are now up and running to assist with a range of queries, complaints, form filling, and many more.find out More